Monday, August 22, 2011

Not To Worried About Hurricane Irene At This Point


For the past five summers Michelle and I have maintained a keen eye on the tropical updates during hurricane season. Obviously, when we decided to move our family to the Lowcountry back in 2007 a common comment we always heard from friends and neighbors while saying their goodbyes back in West Virgina was, "aren't you afraid of those hurricanes?" In fact, the employees at the hospital where I worked prepared a huge hurricane survival kit and presented it to me during my last days there. And at the beginning of each season since moving here I have re-visited that tote and enjoyed, again, the many messages and greetings written on the tote by well wishers that day. Also, I have added to and updated many of the items, but it is comforting to know that if we ever do have to "ride one out" I will have not only provisions, but also the words and greetings written on that box to entertain me by candlelight.


Interestingly enough, in the five years we have been in The Land of Palm Trees there has only been one tropical system coming close to Charleston. That was Tropical Storm Hannah back in 2009, and we were in Chicago at my nephews wedding when she came calling. Actually, our flight out of Charleston was one of the last to leave prior to the airport being closed for the storm. But early last week the local weather guy mentioned a couple of systems in the Atlantic and he said one of them could become tropical, it caught my attention and for some reason, I had a feeling that this one might just give us a scare. And sure enough, for a good portion of the afternoon the National Hurricane Center had drawn a bulls eye right around the Lowcountry with a projected landfall at Edisto Beach. Of course, when you are dealing with tropical systems that are five or six days away, alot can happen, so it was a bit of a novelty to realize that all eyes were focused on our little piece of sand right here in Charleston. For now, it seems as if landfall is moving up the coast toward Myrtle Beach and even further towards Wilmington, NC. However, once again, when you are five or six days out, things can and do change and Charleston is still well within the "cone of uncertainty" and we will keep a watchful eye out. At this point, we have our plan, we know what were doing, where we are going if a Category 4 or 5 cane is coming our way. We have covered the preparation guide from cover to cover and aside from a few little details, we are prepared. I was starting to feel a little more relaxed about the whole deal until my brother called a bit ago and told me that he was watching The Weather Channel (cause that's what old dudes like him do) and that WC Anchor Jim Cantore announced he is headed for Charleston, SC on Tuesday. That guy is a weather disaster magnet, the Geraldo Rivera of the weather world, so my guess is once Irene gets word, she will shift back towards Charleston Harbor.







As you can see, we aren't too concerned to miss out on a nice evening on the front porch. There were thunderstorms here and there around and it made for some awesome clouds and lightning, although, it never did rain here at our house. At the risk of sensationalizing Irene I think I will try to journalize my tropical experience here In The Land of Palm Trees, after all, this blog is about life in The Lowcountry and in August and September storms are part of the reality of life here. So check back from time to time this week and if I see Cantore tomorrow I think I will suggest that he head up to Boston for the rest of the week.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and Enter To Win A One-Year Subscription to AZALEA