Saturday, May 7, 2011

Saturday Morning Ritual

Each Saturday morning from April through November I make my trek down Central Avenue toward the middle of Historic Summerville, South Carolina for the local farmers market. Well, every other Saturday morning my trek to the market involves driving up Highway 61, through some of the prettiest plantation countryside in the South, bleary-eyed from working overnight at the hospital, but count on me, I will always stop by the farmers market on Saturday morning.

My visit isn't always a long and protracted stay, sometimes a quick trip through but always stopping by my favorite vendors, if for no other reason, to say hello. There are a couple of stops that are regular and predictable, Gruber Farms for instance, they always have great produce, and whatever is locally in season, they have. Today for instance, off of their farm I bought some beautiful pat-a-pan squash that I will be stuffing with Italian sausage and breadcrumbs, drizzling with some EVO (extra virgin olive oil) and topping off with some freshly ground parmesan and romano cheese.




Also, one of my regular stops, Mr. Jeffries fresh picked strawberries from Round O, South Carolina. Delectable sweet red morsels that are in season for just another 3 or 4 weeks. And of course, my goal for this farmers market season is a different plant or shrub every week from Bob at Bob's Landscape. Today, a confederate rose, that Bob tells me is actually not a rose at all, but more closely related to the hibiscus family. At any rate, my backyard now has a confederate rose and I can't wait to see it bloom in August or September.


I hope your Saturday is going well also, and that you have had a chance to enjoy one of your favorite activities. Don't forget Mom tomorrow on Mother's Day. My sons have done well this year picking out their Mother's Day gifts and we will treat Michelle to brunch at The Eclectic Chef on Short Central tomorrow morning and an afternoon at the beach.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment and Enter To Win A One-Year Subscription to AZALEA